When James B. Duke selected the site for Duke University's West
Campus in 1925, he chose to locate the Chapel on the site's highest
ridge. The Chapel was the first building planned for the new campus, but
the last one to be completed. Construction started in 1930, was completed
in 1935, and cost nearly $2.3 million. The Chapel began to be used before
its stained-glass windows and other details were finished; commencement
was held in the Chapel in 1932.
Although the Chapel was inspired by other buildings, including English
cathedrals and the chapels of other American universities, it is not a copy
of any other specific building.
Chapel replica is 4 1/2" high on a 7 1/2" x 4 7/8" wooden base. Imported.